Toronto, ON, Wednesday November 13th, 2019 – Vividata, (vividata.ca) Canada’s leading cross-media and consumer research firm, today released their latest survey results. In field from April – Dec 2018 (9 months) and April – June 2019 (3 months) and surveying 39,803 respondents (aged 14+), Vividata’s Survey of the Canadian Consumer (SCC) is the most comprehensive single source cross-media, product, attitudinal and brand research study in Canada.
Moving into 2019, Vividata refined its measurement objectives to reflect enhanced quality and relevance of audience estimates. This future proof solution leverages investment in passive measurement and a multi-partner measurement strategy. The Fall 2019 Survey of the Canadian Consumer marks the first major study to be released by Vividata with its new core measurement partner, Ipsos Canada.
“The Fall 2019 Survey is a key milestone for Vividata,” says Pat Pellegrini, Ph.D, President and CEO of Vividata. “The new study accounts for the increasing number of mobile-only households and mobile centric consumers, prepares the SCC for a full transition to device agnostic surveys, all while being more efficient with regard to sample management.”
A sample of highlights from the Vividata 2019 Winter Study include:
Black Friday Shoppers:
• 1 in 5 (20%) of Canadian adults (aged 18+) participated in Black Friday shopping in the past 12 months.
• Black Friday shoppers are 87% more likely than the general adult population to agree with the statement: “It is important my household is equipped with the latest technology”.
• In the past 2 years, on average, Black Friday shoppers spent 14% more on home electronics and entertainment products than the general adult population.
• 10.7 million Canadian adults intend to travel outside Canada in the next 12 months with the US, Europe, and the Caribbean as their top three intended destinations.
• Those intending to travel outside of Canada plan to spend an average of $3,000 on their next trip.
• 1 out of 4 travel intenders traveled with children in the past 12 months.
• 85% of Canadian adults read/access magazine or news brands weekly via print or digital platforms
• 73% read newspaper brand content weekly, with just under half accessing content via a smartphone.
• 8 out of 10 read a magazine brand in the past month, with food, entertainment, and health magazine brands as the most popular among Canadians.
• Nearly 9 million Canadian adults watched videos on YouTube in the past week, with 1 in 2 watching videos on a mobile device.
• 12 million agree with the statement: “Online TV streaming services have changed the way I watch television”.
• 3.7 million Canadian adults have listened to a podcast, up from 3.2 million from the previous year.
• 69% of Canadian adults searched online for a product, brand, or service after seeing in ad in any media.
• 37% agree with the statement: “Advertising keeps me up to date about products and services available in the marketplace”.
• 77% noticed an out of home ad in the past week.
“With this Fall 2019 release, Vividata continues to deliver on its important mission to provide high quality cross platform audience measurement to the industry,” says Jérôme Leys, Senior Director of Media Solutions at Quebecor Media and Vividata Board Director. “Vividata’s Survey of the Canadian Consumer provides us key insights on our audience that are leveraged from the editorial floor to the sales pitch.”
Vividata is Canada’s authoritative source for insights on multi-media and consumer behaviour. It is the leading provider of cross platform audience measurement for publishers. A tripartite, not-for-profit organization, Vividata is governed by a board of directors representing the interests of Canadian publishers, agencies and advertisers.
Vivintel, the newly created custom research arm of Vividata, offers bespoke solutions to deliver ‘a closer look’ at unique research needs. Through syndicated surveys and reports, segmentations, custom studies, first and third-party data integration opportunities, and strong partnerships, Vivintel provides a complete suite of unified solutions for actionable data.
For more information:
Vice President, Client Services | Vividata